• Guest Access

You are currently viewing the forums as a guest.  Please consider making a free account to gain full access to the forums, files, gallery and to create your own personal blog.

Sign in to follow this  
LactobacillusPrime

PS2 Emulation on a Ryzen 7 2700x at Stock Speed, 1070GTX and 16Gb RAM at 2933Mhz (PCSX2)(60fps)

Took the plunge and decided to upgrade my aging gaming rig in the gameroom to something substantial that would last me for quite some time to come.

Ryzen 2700x
16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz memory
X470 Gigabye Aorus motherboard
512Gb Intel SSD
4Tb Hitachi HD

After trying the PCSX2 Emulator with MotorStorm Arctic Edge running at native PS2 resolution in software mode (see previous video) I decided to try Gran Turismo 3 Aspec in 3x PS2 resolution in HW OpenGL mode. Basically playing Gran Turismo 3 in HD! 
It also ran 100% and very smooth. It even does the priorities of the special dirt effects in the game properly this time. At the end of the video I show the settings used. 

Watch the video at 60fps.

Excellent.  Those frame rates are looking great.  I Held off on building out my B350 Ryzen system last year.. but it looks like the Ryzen 2700x is compatible with my board at stock speeds.   Maybe I'll pick one of those up when I get back on track.  but if I do it will probably be a computer room machine.

I'm still working on building the old 4th gen i5 system out as an emulation box for the game room.  Not great on PS2, Gamecube or Wii.. but fine for everything else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gandalf42 said:

Excellent.  Those frame rates are looking great.  I Held off on building out my B350 Ryzen system last year.. but it looks like the Ryzen 2700x is compatible with my board at stock speeds.   Maybe I'll pick one of those up when I get back on track.  but if I do it will probably be a computer room machine.

I'm still working on building the old 4th gen i5 system out as an emulation box for the game room.  Not great on PS2, Gamecube or Wii.. but fine for everything else.

With a bit of configuring quite a few titles will run well on PCSX2 on a 4th gen i5

3 hours ago, LactobacillusPrime said:

With a bit of configuring quite a few titles will run well on PCSX2 on a 4th gen i5

Under windows... I'm trying to make it a linux box.. but maybe I should put my low profile 1050 ti in it and run big box..  I'll have to think about it.  It takes so much time to set these things up. 🙄

28 minutes ago, Gandalf42 said:

Under windows... I'm trying to make it a linux box.. but maybe I should put my low profile 1050 ti in it and run big box..  I'll have to think about it.  It takes so much time to set these things up. 🙄

PCSX2 has a Linux port as well... 🙂 but in general I find windows and Launchbox / Retroarch and other emulators often faster on the same hardware. 

Yes, but like you said, the performance just isn't there... I think I'm going to pop in a 2tb drive, upgrade the memory to 8gb and see how I get on with Launchbox.